Powered By Blogger

Monday, September 12, 2016

My First International Trip: Backpacking Cambodia

When I dreamed about going out of the Philippines, I never thought it would come true. Then I realize that nothing is impossible as long as you set your heart and mind into achieving or getting something. I was under the impression that if you don't have enough funds, you can never get out of the country and be a tourist somewhere. I was wrong.

Deciding to travel internationally, I contacted my close friends the moment I found out that there are sale international airfares (airfare was booked 6 months before the trip). Then I pondered on the best tourist attraction in Southeast Asia and only one came into my mind- the Angkor Wat Temple in Cambodia. We decided to go there and we got a booking in Tanei Boutique Villa where there's free buffet breakfast but rates are very affordable (cheapest is around $20  per night for two persons for off peak season check Trip Advisor for prices). Oh by the way, we booked the hotel a month after booking the air fare. Next, we booked the tour. Try Angkor Guide Sam Day Tours. They offer excellent and affordable tour service.

Cambodia is a peaceful place. I was shocked to see a lot of Caucasians walking around the streets. Some don't even have slippers (Haha.) You can actually walk on the streets holding your expensive phone because no one would dare snatch it from you. Cambodians, on the other hand, are soft spoken and down to earth. When it comes to shopping and food, it is very cheap and everything is priced in US dollars so you don't have to go to a money changer. The night market offers a lot of bargain shops as well as crocodile leather goods store at very cheap price. Street food is so yummy except some exotic street foods that made my stomach lurch. Pub street has lots of clubs and night restaurants so if you want to chill, you can always go there. Oh, try dragon fruit shake for $1. It's very refreshing. A massage is also good after touring the temples. You can have a half hour massage for $1. Everything is so cheap that you wouldn't ever want to leave. Lol.

The best thing is, KFC there has tasty hainanese rice served with the chicken (haha).



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts matter. Add one HERE.